There are a few key steps to making an excellent burger. Below I have outlined these steps so you can make some amazing burgers at home.
Step 1: Get good ingredients.
-If you are cooking with things that taste good on their own your end product will taste that much better
Buy or Make a good whole grain bun
- Be sure it is fresh but sturdy -not too soft, easily compressed, chewy, dry or subject to breakage
- Buy a nice white bread rather than a poor whole grain
- Make or buy your favorite veggies burger
- Choose lean or even extra lean ground beef
- shop around for a nice flavored meat
- sometimes at your smaller meat shops rather than at the supermarket
Have on hand:
- fresh garlic,
- a nice flavored onion (not necessicarily sweet),
- a large meaty tomatoe,
- tender large basil leaves,
- homemade zuchini pepper relish,
- Mircle Whip (or for the adventurist -Ranch),
- smokey barbeque sauce and brush,
- Opitional: mushrooms & cheese
Step 2: Cook it wright.
- Cook meat on a hot skillet or grill -searing well
- Turn once (and don't squish out juices as cooking)
- spread seared side with about a tsp of sauce
- when burger is cooked through (use thermometer-if unsure)
- turn burger again and briefly cook sauce on
- move to bun or turn back over when ready
basil leaves (baby lettuces are nice too)
Relish ( being careful not to get too much liquid ....)
onion sliced very thinly (or fires if you like)
Now put on the burger, eat and enjoy!